Saturday, February 23, 2013

Hoisin Long Beans


Although I have gotten away from Chinese take-out because of its high sodium and fat content, I still find that I enjoy many Asian style vegetables. In order to cut down of the unwanted calories,  I've learned to make healthier Chinese food by using less sodium and fat.  I love Asian Long beans; typically stir-fried, this dish can be high in fat.  One of the ways I avoid using lots of oil to prepare these beans is by blanching them first.    Blanching the beans beforehand, partially cooks them and therefore  cuts down significantly on the fat you would normally use to cook them.  I also add fresh water chestnuts for that extra crunch.


Hoisin Long Beans

Ingredients

1 pound Asian Long Beans, blanched and shocked
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 fresh water chestnuts, peeled and julienne
1” piece ginger peeled and julienne
2 teaspoons garlic, julienne
¼ cup hoisin sauce
2 teaspoons soy sauce
¼ cup water

Directions

Cut beans into 5 inch pieces
Heat saute pan add sesame oil

When pan is hot, but not smoking, add water chestnuts, ginger and garlic.  Saute for 2 minutes

Add long beans

Then hoisin, soy and water

Gentle toss and simmer for five minutes


Remove from pan garnish with sesame seed if desired

No comments:

Post a Comment