Saturday, October 6, 2012

Pumpkin... Gourd of the Season


I apologize for not posting last week.  I needed to see a few of my customers on Saturday which consumed the entire day. 


Riding along route 25 on the North Shore is beautiful this time of year, as the leaves go from shades of green to bright yellows and reds.  I ride with the windows down as the aroma of hot cider and donuts fills the air. 

For miles farmers displays fruits and vegetables that are hallmarks of the season.  Produce stands are line with gourds of all shapes, sizes and color.


This time of year, I can’t help but think of everything pumpkin as the ubiquitous gourds shows up on all of my chef's menus.  I get inspired by their creations.  Some of their items include pumpkin souffle, pumpkin gelato, pumpkin cheese cake and pumpkin flan.



I avoid dessert that incorporate pumpkin because they typically have that pumpkin spice flavor that is the trademark of pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving.  Thank you Kate of www.cookieandkate.com for the Butternut Squash Chipotle Chili with Avocado recipe she posted on September 28.  I substituted pumpkin for the butternut squash and it worked well.  Check out her recipe; I am sure you will like it as much as I did. Next week I'll prepare something savory with pumpkin...perhaps a pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment