Saturday, August 10, 2013

Southwestern Omelet with Avocado and Blue Corn Tortillas



During my college years, I spent a semester in Los Angeles where eggs, cheese, salsa, avocados, tortillas, limes and Tequila were often the only things I had in my refrigerator.   Now that I am just a bit older and have a lot more food in my refrigerator, omelets usually, consist of wild mushrooms, fresh tarragon and Emmental cheese.    However, feeling a little nostalgic as I pushed my grocery cart down the dairy isle this morning, the  corn tortillas conjured up memories of life as a carefree twenty year old.  I have a delicious Welsh Cheddar that will give my omelet that extra zing.  You are welcome to use any cheese you like as I will use this because it in the box.  For those of you who have difficulty making omelets, here are a few helpful hints:
·        Use a non stick pan and a rubber spatula
·        Make sure the pan is well oiled with a food release or olive oil
·        Have all of the ingredient that will go into the omelet seasoned and ready ahead of time
·        Don’t over-stuff with ingredients or it will be difficult to fold
·        Control your fire-make sure the pan is not too hot when your are preparing the omelet or the eggs will get too brown and crisp
·        Have fun with it

I have listed the ingredient for one omelet in an 8” non-stick pan the way  I like it.  You can use a smaller pan with fewer eggs if desired. 


Southwestern Omelet with Avocado and Blue Corn Tortillas

Ingredients
2 large eggs
1 egg white
2 tablespoons cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons salsa
1/3 cup diced avocado
3 corn tortillas
Food release/ olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Preparation 

Season avocado to taste and set aside
Heat tortillas in a skillet  and hold  them warm in an earthen tortilla warmer until omelet is ready
Heat a non-stick pan; add desired fat (Do Not Let Pan Smoke-that’s too Hot)
Scramble eggs 

Add eggs to hot pan; move with the rubber spatula

Now this is where I cheat.  I flip the eggs over to insure the eggs are entirely cooked.  You can continue to move the eggs and fill it without flipping it over.  I just find that it increase the likelihood that the eggs will be runny inside.  Do what makes you comfortable.


 
Turn omelet onto your plate serve with avocado and tortillas
ENJOY!





No comments:

Post a Comment