Saturday, July 28, 2012

Intro



The Soul of Our Food-Food-Recipes-Health-Muse

They say the journey of 1000 miles starts when you take the first step.  Well, this first entry begins my venture.  My name is Lamour  and I am a chef of many years.  A little over a year ago I left the kitchen mainly for a lifestyle change.  I wanted to do something in the food arena that would allow me to manage my own time.

Since my love and passion for food is eternal, I thought, the best way to transition out of the kitchen would be to get a job selling gourmet/high end foods to Chefs. This type of career would get me out of the kitchen but still connected to chefs in the industry. 
So I landed a job as a culinary sales rep for a specialty food company. Over this past year, I have spent most of my time learning about my company’s products and establishing a customer base.  I  won’t bore you with what that has been like but I will say that being the master of one’s time is overrated.

Over this past year, while spending long days driving as much as 300 miles a day, I have really learned a lot about myself.  Driving down long country roads away from the chaos of a kitchen and alone with my thoughts has been therapeutic.  I have no regrets about leaving the kitchen but I miss cooking and working with beautiful fresh ingredients. 

Yes, sure, I can prepare some things at home but with the exception of holidays, I am typically preparing food for myself. I guess you could say that is where the healthy aspect of my post will come in.   I have never had to count calories or really cared for that matter, but since I turned 40 I have found it necessary.  Exercise alone just doesn’t cut it anymore.  I am always looking for new ways to prepare old favorites and when I find out how, I will be happy to share them with you.  I hope that they will be an inspiration to you.  Friends often ask me how I am able to cook and work around food and maintain the health that I presently enjoy.  Life is a balancing act that we must constantly strive to maintain.  

This blog will also touch on food history and how it relates to where we come from and where we are going.  As an African American woman, I am especially interested in that part of food history as it relates to the African American Experience.   As resident of Astoria NY where 120 nationalities are represented, I am surrounded by foods from far off lands.  I hope to share these foods along with their story.

I believe that food should empower, educate, enlighten and inspire and I hope that this blog does that so here goes.  




No comments:

Post a Comment