Monday, July 30, 2012

Baby Fennel in Summer

This year I finally joined a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) with a guy in my neighborhood.  I have always been a bit hesitant about joining because of the amount of food one share provides.  However, when I went to the meeting this spring they allowed you to split a share.  So, I introduced myself to a man at the meeting  who also needed to split a share.  Every Thursday we meet at one of the local schools to divvy up our goods.  This week we had some delicious baby fennel.  It was the perfect amount for two salads-Seared Scallops with Baby Fennel and Orange.  This was exactly what I needed on a 90 degree day.  Very refreshing.   Hope you’ll enjoy this one too. I didn't have exact measurement like a standard recipe and I promise not to make this a habit, but this was so simple I think you can do this without exact quantities.  If you are a bit challenged, let me know and I'll give exact amounts.

Seared Scallops with Baby Fennel and Orange Salad

2 bulbs baby fennel
Juice of an Orange
Orange zest
Orange segments
Honey
Canola oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Seared scallops
Sea Salt

Trim fennel, reserve some of the fronds for the salad
Shave fennel in a bowl
In a separate bowl, prepare vinaigrette with orange juice, zest, honey, canola oil, salt and pepper to taste.
Add vinaigrette, orange segments and fennel fronds to the shaved fennel.  Toss and let stand until scallops are ready
Serve salad with scallops; Put a pinch of sea salt on each scallop


Oh and there is just one more thing.  The sauce that is around the plate can be reduces balsamic or orange juices that  was used to deglaze the pan.  I however, used Vanilla Ice Wine Vinegar, although a bit hard to find,  in the upcoming months I'll tell you have you can either make it or by it.  I have so much I want to share with you!   

No comments:

Post a Comment