Growing up, Saturday morning breakfast was always a big deal in our house. Mom would take request on what we wanted and it was usually pancakes. Rarely did we ever have just plain pancakes. She was always open to adding some type of fruit to them. I recall one time she added crushed pineapples to them and they were delicious. Perhaps the favorite among all of my siblings was her blueberry pancakes. To this day, I can vivid recall the smell that came from the kitchen on a Saturday morning. Despite the fact that I’ve become more conscious of calories and I sometimes, “diet” with great discipline, when Saturday rolls around, all bets are off. This Saturday morning was no different. It’s a beautiful summer day and blueberries are in surplus at my local market. After an hour of cardio I raced home to make a short stack. Although they are not my Mom’s recipe I am sure that she would be pleased to add this recipe to her repertoire of pancake recipes.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup blueberries slight crushed
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine eggs, buttermilk, blueberries, zest, vanilla extract and melted butter; whisk to combine.
- Fold wet ingredients to flour mixture. Be care not to over work the batter. Batter will have small to medium lumps.
- Preheat griddle and spray with a food release. Wipe off excess oil. NOTE: If the griddle starts to smoke it is too hot.
- Using a ladle or 1/3 cup dry measuring cup, pour pancake batter on warm griddle. When pancakes have bubbles on top and are slightly dry around edges, flip over.
- Cook until golden on bottom.
- Repeat with remaining batter, keeping finished pancakes on a heatproof plate in oven. Serve warm.
Here is this result!