Sunday, August 26, 2012

A Great Source of Calcium


My Mom was a big fan of canned sardines.   Growing up I recall her eating them on a cracker with a onions and mustard.  When I became a chef I was introduces to fresh sardines.  I've eaten and prepared them in many ways such as marinated and pan seared.  They were nothing like the can variety I remembered from my childhood.  Up until about a week ago I never thought about canned sardines until one of my sister's pointed out how high in calcium they were.  She said she eats them just the way Mom did.

My first thought was, “I am older and wiser. I don't have to have them sittin on a Ritz with mustard"

Although I typically get my calcium through yogurt,  an occasional scoop of ice cream, cruciferous vegetables or a supplement, I sometimes fall short in getting enough.  We all know that calcium is important for  maintaining strong bones and a healthy heart but did you know that just 2 sardines (about 24 grams) gives you 108mg  of calcium.

Determined not to prepare them like my Mom, I decided to utilize the seasons bounty as well as what was in my refrigerator.

This was what I made.


 Sardine Bruschetta


1        4.25 oz can Atlantic sardines with bones in oil
½  baguette
1 clove garlic
Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Extra Virgin Lemon Olive Oil
1 vine ripened beef steak tomato, sliced
½ red onion, thin sliced
½ cup basil, chiffonade
Aged/ reduced balsamic
Cracked pepper

This recipe can be made in any proportion but for those of you who like exact measure, I’ve provided these quantities.

Rub the outside of the baguette with the clove of garlic
Cut the baguette in a slight diagonal ¾” thick
Brush the bread with a little olive oil and grill on both sides
Assemble tomatoes, onions, sardines, cracked pepper and basil on baguette
Drizzle olive oil and balsamic on Bruschetta
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment