Sunday, December 2, 2012

Light Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies


I stop short of labeling myself as someone with a sweet tooth, although some may brand me as such.  But when I think of that person, it conjures up images of candy bars, cookies, cakes, and pies.  Oh… yes I guess that would be me though high quality cookies, high quality cakes and good old down home pies-just not the candy bars.  Well, if it were chocolate-caramels pecan turtles-- I’m in.   OK correctly characterized, I do have a sweet tooth.  I know that the healthy choice for dessert would be fruit or cheese and most of the time, I adhere to this regimen but it doesn’t satisfy like a baked treat.

Recently, I have fallen into and eating ritual.  On weekdays when I’m on the road I have to stop at a Bake Shop for a confection and a cup of tea.  Two small cookies or a cupcake is really all I need.  These daily treats are starting to add up monetarily and calorically, so I decided to make my own healthy and satisfying sweet fix.   Although I do not have the calorie count of these cookies, I am sure they have fewer calories then the butter cookies or cupcakes I've been eating.  In developing this recipe, I wanted something that did not contain refined sugar and was low in saturated fat.  I replaced the sugar with honey and substituted Canola oil for butter.  I think you will be pleased with the results.


Light Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies

Ingredients
2/3 cup honey
½ cup Canola oil
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon orange zest
2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
¾ cup dried cranberries
½  teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1  tablespoon cinnamon

Directions
Preheat oven to 350F
In a medium bowl mix honey, oil, eggs, vanilla and orange zest until well combined.


In another large bowl combine remaining ingredients.  Stir until well combined 



Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients
When all ingredients are incorporated, drop by a heaping tablespoonfuls onto a lightly greased sheet pan
Bake for 10-12 minutes
Remove from sheet pan; place on a cooling rack and allow cooling.
These are soft cake like cookies
This recipe make a little more than 2 dozen cookies
  

No comments:

Post a Comment