Saturday, March 30, 2013

Chicken Tagine


I couldn't wait to use the preserve lemons I  made in the January 20th post and what better way to use them than in a dish from North African.
Now, I am willing to bet that if I ask 100 people how to make chicken tagine, I would get 100 different answers.  This wonderfully aromatic dish is the hallmark of Moroccan cooking.  When most people refer to tagine, they are talking about the dish that can consist of meat, chicken, fish or vegetables.  However, the word "tagine" also refers to the method of preparing, which is slow-cooked inside this cooking vessel. 

You can also make the dish in a heavy saucepan or Dutch oven depending on how much you’re preparing.

Like the many people who prepare tagine, I've added my own twist with the addition of green chilies; here is my version. 

Chicken Tagine

Ingredients
1 Chicken skinned and cut into bite size pieces (16th)
1 onion sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
Salt and pepper
½ teaspoon thin sliced green chili
2 teaspoons minced ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon saffron, toasted and crushed
3 cups chicken stock (approximately)
¾ cups olives
½ preserved lemon peel - julienne
¼ cup coarsely chopped cilantro
¼ cup coarsely chopped parsley

Directions

Place chicken in a medium bowl 
Add 1/2 tablespoon garlic, salt, pepper, chili, 1 teaspoon ginger, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ½ teaspoon saffron to chicken and let marinade for at least 1 hour

In a medium Dutch oven or heavy sauce pan heat olive oil
Add onions and allow cooking until soft and golden brown, adding remaining garlic, ginger, cinnamon and saffron

Add marinated chicken
 
Now add enough chicken stock to cover the chicken
Cover with a lid, bring to a boil, and then lower the flame to a simmer for about 30 minutes or until chicken is tender

Add olives preserved, lemons, parsley and cilantro

Remove from flame

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Lovie this is my next chicken dish. I have some chicken thighs that I would work well..the preserved lemons may pose a problem you know me I will find a substitute that will work..

    Happy Easter..Muffin

    ReplyDelete