Saturday, April 27, 2013

Angle Hair Pasta with Seafood and Chorizo


Unable to find  a restaurant here in Astoria that makes a good seafood primavera, my friend and I decided to make it ourselves.    Since he's from Mexico, I thought I’d appeal to his since of taste by adding a little chorizo.   Although I’m not a big fan of monk fish, it is the perfect texture for stews or ragouts.  You can add any fish you like.  I used what was available at my local fish market.  Keep in mind that this recipe is for two people; you may want to increase the the quantity of fish if you are serving more people.  Oh… I must also tell you, the vermicelli was toasted. Sorry I didn’t take any pictures while preparing it… just got a bit tied up in cooking and entertaining.  Actually, you can prepare whatever pasta you like.


Angle Hair Pasta with Seafood and Chorizo

Ingredients
½ pound Monk fish
1/3 pound calamari
1/3 pound shrimp
½ pound New Zealand clams
2 tablespoon olive oil (total)
1/3 cup onions, small dice
1/3 cup red pepper, small
1 tablespoon sliced garlic
1 small link of chorizo dices
¼ teaspoon chili flakes
1 tablespoon fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
½ cup white wine
1 cup of Marinara or tomato sauce
½ cup clam broth
1 tablespoon fresh basil
1 tablespoon fresh parsley
Salt to taste
Angle hair pasta, prepared

Directions
Prepare seafood by cutting the monk fish into bit size chunks, cut calamari into ¼ “ rings, peel and devein shrimp. 
Heat a small saute pan with 2 teaspoon olive oil, add monk fish; sear until slight brown
Remove from pan and set aside**
Add about 1 teaspoon more of olive oil to the pan and saute the shrimp;set aside when tender**
In a medium saucepan heat remaining olive oil;
Add onions, peppers and garlic; cook until onions become translucent
Add chorizo, chili flakes and oregano; cook for about five minutes; deglaze pan with white wine
Add clam juice, tomato sauce, calamari and basil; bring to a boil; simmer for about 2 minutes then add remaining fish, and parsley, bring to a boil then allow to simmer for about 3 minutes more.  Season to taste.
 
 


Serve over desired pasta immediately


In hindsight, seasoning the shrimp with smoked paprika would have rounded out the flavors more.

** It is not necessary to saute the monk fish and shrimp separately.  I just feel it gives me more control against overcooking the fish but realize adding it directly to the broth remove 1 tablespoon of olive oil from the dish.  It really is up to you.

*** I steam the clams in a little white wine in separate pan, then strain the liquid into the broth as part of the clam broth.  I do this to avoid getting sand from my clams into the sauce. 


No comments:

Post a Comment